Chateau Gruaud Larose
Recognised in the late 18th century as one of the great terroirs of Bordeaux and ranked as a second growth in 1855, Gruaud was split into two in 1845 and not reunited again until 1935, when négociant Cordier purchased the second half to join the first. Sold in 1985 to a banking group, then in 1993 to a telecoms company, it finally found stability again in 1997 with its purchase by the Taillan group, a family négociant business. Georges Pauli ran the estate for 30 years before retiring with Eric Boissenot taking over as consultant winemaker. No herbicides or pesticides are used and only organic fertilizers (from the cattle that graze next door). There are 82 hectares of vineyard planted 57% to Cabernet Sauvignon, 31% Merlot, 8% Cabernet Franc, 3% Petit Verdot and 2% Malbec and the wine is renowned as one of the longest lived and fullest bodied of the Médoc.