The 118 hectares of vineyard are located in a single block in the south of the appellation, next to Gruaud-Larose. A firm favourite of bon-viveur, ambassador and eventual 3rd president of the USA Thomas Jefferson, Lagrange was, by the mid 19th century, the largest cru classé, with over 120 hectares under vine. After the 1920’s the estate fell into disrepair and by the 1980’s Lagrange was moribund. At this time, it was bought by Japanese company Suntory, who invested heavily in the estate, which really began to bear fruit in the 1990s. Now amongst the top wines of Bordeaux, the style is one of elegance and finesse.