Tenuta San Guido
Tenuta San Guido was founded by Marchese Mario Incisa sella Rocchetta at his property near the coast in the Tuscan Maremma. The first vintage of a Cabernet Sauvignon named Sassicaia was produced for domestic consumption in 1948, but it was not until the 1968 vintage that it was offered for sale. Initial excitement over the quality led to the Marchese employing Giacomo Tachis to improve and refine the wine whilst increasing production. By the 1980s it was recognised as one of the world’s great wines and in 1994 was granted its own DOC – Bogheri Sassicaia – the only single estate DOC in Italy. There are around 75 hectares of vines with Cabernet supplemented by Cabernet Franc and Merlot and Sangiovese which is used in the second and third wines. The three wine made are Sassicaia which makes up around 40% of production, a second wine called Guidalberto and a third wine, Le Difese at around 30% each.